Sin and Love [Proper 19C - I Timothy 1:12-17]

 The Rev. Jeremiah Williamson

I Timothy 1:12-17

 

Sin and Love

 

So many sinners this Sunday – and not just in the pews.  There are sinners all over these Scripture passages.  Sinners making golden calves.  Sinners singing psalms.  Sinners writing letters – presumably to other sinners.  Sinners eating lunch with Jesus.  And sinners grumbling about the sinners eating lunch with Jesus.  That’s a lot of sinners.  And where there are sinners there is bound to be sin.

 

I grew up in a Pentecostal church and there I heard enough sermons about sin to last me a lifetime.  I knew our list of mortal sins well: strong drink, bad language, naughty thoughts, anything related to rainbow flags, and also voting for Bill Clinton.  By the way, a lot of you folks would really scandalize the Pentecostals I grew up with.  Of course there were many other sins as well, ones that we didn’t talk about quite as much.  I found out later, unfortunately too late, that joining the Episcopal Church, for example, is one of the lesser known sins.  And that there are people who knew me as a child who are very sad that I am now going to Hell. 

 

Every Sunday, as the lengthy sin sermon ended, the lights would go low, and the keyboard would softly sound – a gentle synthesized string setting.  The altar was open because, apparently, or so we were told, there was a bus waiting outside hoping to run us all over.  And if you did die tonight, if you walked out of this building and were hit by a bus, are you sure you would go to Heaven?  You really had to stay on your toes because even one of those sins, committed in between altar calls, could lose you God’s love and cost you eternally. 

 

And so, perhaps it goes without saying, I grew up with a complicated view of sin.  Rather than try my best to love God, most often I tried my best to avoid the bad stuff, to follow the rules, to never mess up.  The stakes were so high.  And so then was the shame.  I took it all very seriously.  I tried not to sin at all.  Relatively speaking, I think I did a pretty good job.  But I wasn’t perfect, not as perfect as I was told God needed me to be; and I was terrified that someone would find out.  I would repent to God often but I would never tell anyone in my church.  I couldn’t let anyone find out that I was sinner.

 

In the many years since I left that tradition I have come to think of sin differently.  Though I still try to avoid oncoming busses, I’m no longer worried about them separating me from my eternal salvation.  I find that I now profoundly trust in the unconditional love and abundant grace of God.  I believe what the Prayer Book says: that the bond God forms with us in the sacrament of baptism is indissoluble.  I believe what the Apostle Paul says in his letter to the Romans: that nothing in all of creation can ever separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.  I believe what is written in today’s excerpt from first letter to Timothy: that the grace of our Lord overflows for us. 

 

And I have come to agree with what Barbara Brown Taylor asserts when she writes, “the essence of sin is not the violation of laws but the violation of relationships.”[1]  I’ve come to believe that mostly because it is all over the Gospels.  It is this distinction that is at the heart of Jesus’ conflict with the religious leaders of his time.  Jesus ruffles a lot of feathers in the Gospels because he is fast and loose with the letter of the law.  For instance, many times in the Gospels Jesus heals people on the Sabbath, even though he is repeatedly reprimanded for this practice because, his opponents claim, it is a violation of the law.  But Jesus doesn’t see it that way.  Early in Luke’s Gospel, when Jesus is challenged, he says, “Is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save life or to destroy it?” 

 

In the centuries since Jesus’ earthly ministry, we, in the Church, have developed a number of doctrines about Jesus.  One of those doctrines is the sinlessness of Jesus.  But it is important to remember that during his earthly ministry, there were many people who questioned Jesus’ moral priorities and his character; we see that in today’s Gospel.  Jesus knew the laws, but he wasn’t hung up on the letter of the law.  He was hung up on love.  It is no surprise that when he was asked to name the greatest of the many commandments, Jesus chooses love – and then claims that it is love that fulfills the entire law.

 

St. Augustine of Hippo, in one of his sermons, explains this well.  He says, “Once and for all, I give you this one short command: love, and do what you will. If you hold your peace, hold your peace out of love. If you cry out, cry out in love. If you correct someone, correct them out of love. If you spare them, spare them out of love. Let the root of love be in you: nothing can spring from it but good. …[2]

 

And if that is the case, if love does fulfill the law, if nothing can spring from love but good, then there is really no need to obsess over a list of rules and regulations.  Love is the compass that allows us to navigate the moral, ethical, and spiritual complexities of this life.  You don’t need to walk in fear of messing up.  You are called to walk in love.  Paul Tillich claims that, “[The one] who needs a law which tells [one] how to act or how to not act is already estranged from the source of the law.”[3]  We do ourselves no favors if we are more preoccupied with our sins than we are with our God.  A flawless life without love is nothing compared to a messy life deeply rooted and grounded in the abundant love of Jesus.

 

Ultimately, a fixation on individual sins, whether pharisaical, puritanical, pentecostal, or even personal, is a form of sanctified perfectionism.  And perfectionism (and I say this as an Enneagram One, the Perfectionist) including perfectionism in the spiritual realm, is founded in the fear that we are essentially unlovable, that unless we do everything just right, follow all of the rules, we will never truly be accepted.  When we cannot believe in the unconditional love of God, we spend our lives looking out for busses, terrorized by the idea of Hell, haunted by shame, convinced that we have not yet earned enough of God’s favor.  That’s no way to live.

 

Those of you who know me, know that I am married.  And I don’t want my wife to live her life walking on eggshells, always afraid of messing up, thinking she has to continually and constantly earn my love.  I want her to be happy, to live her best life; I want her to bask in the love that I have for her.  I want her to love me – to treasure our relationship, to see the best of me, even when I am at my worst. 

 

Now I’m not God, obviously.  But I do think that that is what God wants too.  God doesn’t want us walking on eggshells, always afraid of messing up.  The God who repeatedly says, do not be afraid, does not want us living in constant fear.  God wants us to have the freedom to fall more and more deeply in love.  God wants us to trust that God’s love is really and truly unconditional, to be willing to place our hearts and our lives in God’s hands, to rest in the knowledge that we cannot lose love, that nothing in all of creation can ever separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Nothing.    

 

And I think that security, that security we find when we are able to accept God’s unconditional, perfect love, is what finally sets us free from sin.  Because it unlocks our heart to love others and to love ourselves.  And love, Jesus reminds us, fulfills the law. 

 

In my life, I’ve heard a lot of sermons about sin.  But all I really needed to hear was this one short command: Love, and do what you will. 

 

 

 

 



[1] Speaking of Sin, 58.

[2] https://christianhistoryinstitute.org/study/module/augustine

[3] Paul Tillich: theologian on the boundaries, 201.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chrism Mass of Holy Week 2024

A Retrospective [Psalm 126 - Advent 3]

By the Rivers of Babylon [Epiphany 5B - Isaiah 40:21-31]